Sunday, August 24, 2008

Braden's Surgery

Braden got his tonsils and adenoids out on August 7th. I think I was more nervous than he was. The doctor said it would be about a ten day recovery and it was eleven days until school started, so I was hoping it would all go well in the healing process.

The day of surgey Braden could not eat at all and he didn't go in until 11:00 a.m. That is a long time for a seven year old. He got all teary when I told him he couldn't eat or drink until I told him I wouldn't eat or drink with him. That's a long time for a 33 year old.

Well, he made it through surgery all right, he was crying and scared right after. He kind of freaked out about the I.V. in him. Average recovery time is about an hour and we were there for about 2 1/2 hours. He puked all the red slushy and water everywhere, so we had to start over because they wouln't let him go until he kept down so much fluid. Well, then the codeine knocked him out, so he slept for a while. (In the meantime, some girl that just got her tonsils out had come in an hour after him and already left for home. )

After a few days of no speaking because he thought it would hurt, and quite a bit of puking he started to feel better. Thank Goodness!!!!!!

Here's some pictures...........

Right before the surgery.



Right after the surgery.

See the buddy he is holding. They are genious with that. I had no idea that would give him such comfort after. The hospital staff had him color his face and during the surgery put a wrap around its hand where he had his I.V. He held and slept with it for days!
This is when we got home!

I thought he would never get better, but here he is 11 days after the surgery ready for the first day of school. Handsome boy!!!

1 comment:

Cori Henderson said...

I'm glad that everything went well with that!!!1